Steinway Upright Plate Evolution

Phil Romano romano@sccoast.net
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:19:33 -0400

I have a very similiar piano. Mine has a 3/4 plate and open block.
Identical case, 85 note, celluloid keys (serial # 39551). Needs
restoring but a good candidate. It's one of those "when I getta round
toit", I need room and would let it go for $500. Come get it!

private inquires to   romano @sccoast.net

Phil Romano
Myrtle Beach, SC

 --Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Farrell
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 7:13 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Steinway Upright Plate Evolution

I was looking at an 1878 Steinway upright #44034 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16220&item=37403
97678&rd=1> &category=16220&item=3740397678&rd=1

Clearly in the picture is a full plate extending over the tuning pin
field. Most pianos made before the 1890s have an open pinblock, or even
just the 3/4 plate. Am I seeing this right? Was Steinway using a full
plate on their uprights back in 1878?

Terry Farrell