American Craftsmen

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:00:20 -0400

With the grain running the same way you still have the weak axis of the
laminations running the same way - you would still have the tendency to
crack with changing environmental conditions. Parallel laminations might
lessen the tendency for splitting a bit, but likely not a big advantage.
Also, you will still have the same expansion/contraction of the panel with
parallel laminations. You would want to skew the laminations at least some
degree to start offering some resistance to cracking.

I'm sure you are correct to say that parallel plies would not be as rigid as
cross plies.

Terry Farrell