help on upcoming service call

Matthew Todd pianotech88@yahoo.com
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:19:49 -0700 (PDT)

CA glue can be effective, but it is also VERY temporary.  You may be haunted by this several years down the road.

Matthew

Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
Yes, CA can be effective on pianos with tuning pin bushings. No bushings
seems better, but I've had reasonable luck when bushings were present.

Whether she is selling the piano or not is not your concern, IMHO. I
generally tell piano owners that are considering CA on the pinblock that it
is usually about 80% effective - sometimes, for whatever reason, it doesn't
seem to do much at all - but usually provides a workable low-cost solution
where low cost is a high priority.

However, be aware of the tendency for someone to sell a piano and tell the
potential purchaser (after a CA pinblock job - or maybe some new damper
felt), "oh yes, and a wonderful piano technician, Terry Neely, completely
restored all those little things in there - the piano is almost like new"!

FWIW - You shouldn't have to, but I would consider walking away from a job
like this - knowing that the piano will be sold. Assuming she is not
replacing the piano, it would be a one-appointment client anyway.

Terry Farrell