1999 Steinway B hammer felt fraying?

Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:27:48 +0200

Roger Jolly wrote:

> At 03:35 AM 8/11/2004, you wrote:
>
>> Pictures !  Hard to imagine filing can be as sloppy as the
>> description seems to be  comming through....
>>
>> ricB
>

> Hi ric,
>              Maybe the cups are still showing?

What ???  Somebody ought to take care of that... thats downright
indecent going around with ones cups showing... not to mention
embarrassing...!

> Seen more than a few newer Steinway's with very inadequate filing.
> Out of the box those hammers need work.

Well, I 'm with you there... and Steinway isnt the only make when its
first mentioned...  But I wonder how much of the less then wonderful
action work on S&S's comes from those academy students.  I understand in
the Steinway academy they dont have the luxury of affording 2 standing
grands for each student to work on as they do at Yamaha... so the S&S
academy students are just put to work on pianos that are to be sold
right after.  I also understand that the Hamburg Academy is finding even
this too expensive for them... so they are cutting the first course down
to 2 weeks with more hours to be worked each day.  Perhaps S&S are
begining to feel the pinch again ??? hmmmm ???

Cheers
RicB