help on upcoming service call

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:45:44 -0400

What has been your experience with longevity. The few I have done have =
held up well for several years now. But for sure, it is a band-aid =
repair - I make that very clear. Why would it haunt? I figure the worst =
that will happen is that the pins come loose again - nothing lost there.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Matthew Todd=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 12:19 PM
  Subject: Re: help on upcoming service call

  CA glue can be effective, but it is also VERY temporary.  You may be =
haunted by this several years down the road.

  Matthew

  Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
    Yes, CA can be effective on pianos with tuning pin bushings. No =
bushings
    seems better, but I've had reasonable luck when bushings were =
present.

    Whether she is selling the piano or not is not your concern, IMHO. I
    generally tell piano owners that are considering CA on the pinblock =
that it
    is usually about 80% effective - sometimes, for whatever reason, it =
doesn't
    seem to do much at all - but usually provides a workable low-cost =
solution
    where low cost is a high priority.

    However, be aware of the tendency for someone to sell a piano and =
tell the
    potential purchaser (after a CA pinblock job - or maybe some new =
damper
    felt), "oh yes, and a wonderful piano technician, Terry Neely, =
completely
    restored all those little things in there - the piano is almost like =
new"!

    FWIW - You shouldn't have to, but I would consider walking away from =
a job
    like this - knowing that the piano will be sold. Assuming she is not
    replacing the piano, it would be a one-appointment client anyway.

    Terry Farrell

    ----- Original Message -----=20