Tuning "It" (OT)

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:03:07 -0500

Gosh, Rob, at least he had clothes on!   My mentor told me a story about =
the guys I used to hire to move pianos for me at the university, who got =
called to deliver a piano to a nudist's house.   I guess Running Bear =
insisted on crawling under the piano to help with installation of the =
lyre.....

All in a day's work, hey?   :-)

Barbara Richmond, RPT
somewhere near Peoria, IL

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Rob Goodale=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 12:12 PM
  Subject: Tuning "It"

  This morning I went to one of the most bizarre tuning appointments of =
my career.  A man called me and said his name was "Endora".  Naturally I =
assumed this to be a last name.  The initial unique thing about this was =
that the piano was an early Collard & Collard grand.  He claimed it was =
built in 1812  I was very reluctant based on his description on the =
phone as I really wasn't in the mood to tune a basket case piano.

  I arrived at the apartment complex where he lived on Paradise road =
which is just behind the Las Vegas Strip.  There are a lot of =
apartments, condos, and time-shares in that area.  When he answered the =
door I almost fell over.  Not because of the piano but because of him... =
or should I say "it"!  He, (it), was completely dressed in drag.  A =
floral print dress, dyed blond hair, necklace, painted finger and toe =
nails, lipstick, heals, the works!  (No, "it" wasn't pretty).  I was =
speechless for about 15 seconds but finally managed to introduce myself. =
 In a rough male voice "It" led me to the piano.  The place was an =
absolute mess.  Ironically the piano was in remarkably good condition.   =
I would guess it was much later, perhaps around 1860-1870. The piano had =
obviously been restrung perhaps 75-100 years earlier.  It was still =
mostly functional.  There was a good share of problems which I won't go =
into but nevertheless it was tunable.  I tuned it (the other "it"), 80 =
cents flat as a precaution and it came out reasonable given the =
situation.  I started writing out the bill but still wasn't certain of =
the name.  Turns out "It" was Pandora, not Endora.  The last name was =
Hart, I'm betting a legal last name change!  Cute huh?   I did get a =
$20.00 tip out of it.  I'm glad that was all I got!    "It" kept =
standing behind me and I was expecting some perverted butt pinch at any =
moment while I postured myself for a quick rap over "It's" ugly face =
with the tuning hammer.  Very happy that didn't become necessary!

  Rob Goodale, RPT
  Las Vegas, NV