Tuning "It"

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:35:03 -0700

Rob,

Apparently you survived the JMT?

David I,

From: Rob Goodale <rrg@unlv.nevada.edu>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Tuning "It"

This morning I went to one of the most bizarre tuning=
 appointments of my career.  A man called me and said his name=
 was "Endora".  Naturally I assumed this to be a last name.  The=
 initial unique thing about this was that the piano was an early=
 Collard & Collard grand.  He claimed it was built in 1812  I was=
 very reluctant based on his description on the phone as I really=
 wasn't in the mood to tune a basket case piano.

I arrived at the apartment complex where he lived on Paradise=
 road which is just behind the Las Vegas Strip.  There are a lot=
 of apartments, condos, and time-shares in that area.  When he=
 answered the door I almost fell over.  Not because of the piano=
 but because of him... or should I say "it"!  He, (it), was=
 completely dressed in drag.  A floral print dress, dyed blond=
 hair, necklace, painted finger and toe nails, lipstick, heals,=
 the works!  (No, "it" wasn't pretty).  I was speechless for=
 about 15 seconds but finally managed to introduce myself.  In a=
 rough male voice "It" led me to the piano.  The place was an=
 absolute mess.  Ironically the piano was in remarkably good=
 condition.   I would guess it was much later, perhaps around=
 1860-1870. The piano had obviously been restrung perhaps 75-100=
 years earlier.  It was still mostly functional.  There was a=
 good share of problems which I won't go into but nevertheless it=
 was tunable.  I tuned it (the other "it"), 80 cents flat as a=
 precaution and it came out reasonable given the situation.  I=
 started writing out the bill but still wasn't certain of the=
 name.  Turns out "It" was Pandora, not Endora.  The last name=
 was Hart, I'm betting a legal last name change!  Cute huh?   I=
 did get a $20.00 tip out of it.  I'm glad that was all I got!   =
 "It" kept standing behind me and I was expecting some perverted=
 butt pinch at any moment while I postured myself for a quick rap=
 over "It's" ugly face with the tuning hammer.  Very happy that=
 didn't become necessary!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV