Center Rail Pin Locater Jig

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:30:57 +0200

Hello ,

There is also an old way to size the balance hole with wood shave
glued inside the hole, fast and cheap, have no idea if the job last
very long.

If we consider hat a first class balance hole easing consider the 3
positions of the keys (and subsequently takes 3 to 6 hours to be done
for a Steinway for instance), I doubt that a simple wood shave can be
very reliable.

But I have used it for fast repairs and it seem to work well enough,
the extra wood is filed after that with a modified rat tail file.

Best regards.

Isaac OLEG

-----Message d'origine-----
De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Conrad Hoffsommer
Envoye : jeudi 12 aout 2004 12:15
A : Pianotech
Objet : Re: Center Rail Pin Locater Jig

At 22:11 8/11/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Dale Erwin's post on the Kaplan jig made me feel like I should share
this.
>Tonight I made a little jig that I had been intending to make for the
past
>six months - the center rail pin locator jig that Bill Spurlock
describes
>in his October 1983 PTG Journal article. It is used to repair bad
pulley
>keys. Below are two pictures. Haven't used it yet, but I'm quite sure
it
>will work well.
>
>Those 20 years of Journals on CD are absolutely indispensable!
>
>spurki.jpg
>
>spurkt.jpg
>
>Terry Farrell

Terry,

I made the same things shortly after that article came out. As I
recall,
(looking at a remnant) one has to make one for each use and size
balance
pin.  The jig wears fast enough to be unreliable after one or two
uses.

I have a slew of key repair jobs facing me again, but this time I have
the
Onesti system.  I'm estimating that amortization of the co$t of that
system
is about three sets.