Hammer Strike Line-Grand

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:57:14 -0500

Hi Gordon,

When plucking with fingernail, do they ring/sustain as loudly and clearly as
notes below E7? Is there a scale break at Eb7/E7?

When I've run across similar problems, invariably it is something loose
related to the bridge- a loose bridge cap or bad bridge/soundboard joint.
Put some CA glue (thin) in a hypo oiler and run some along the cap seam and
along the soundboard seam. If you see glue sucking into either place, you
know it is a bad joint. I would also flip the piano on the side and run CA
glue into the rim joint all around. The thin CA glue will actually go
vertically upwards into a joint for the areas near the treble side of the
rim. Just make sure the hypo is full and squirt it up vertically in those
areas. Do the ribs while you are at it. Every place it sucks in shows a bad
joint.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Gordon Holley
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 4:14 PM
To: davidlovepianos@earthlink.net; Pianotech
Subject: Re: Hammer Strike Line-Grand

Hello David.  Thanks for bringing this point up.  I didn't think to make a
note of this in my previous
discussion with Ric.  I have plucked the strings with my finger nail and I
did get a clear sound.  I didn't pick all 10
notes, but I'll do that tonight.  I'll get back and respond on this point
tomorrow.
thanks again David.
Regards, Gordon