Hammers: Reality Check

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:49:44 +0200

Hi, Interesting experience, but did you voice (first voicing) the
hammers used ?

I can't understand how you find so similar results. Indeed some part
of the tone is similar, particularly if the hammer is new, but when
the tone develop, I see differences, some tone being stamped "Wurzen".
The lack of live in tone that I have see regularly with some brand of
hammers makes me also understanding why the few try of Wurzen and low
heat gluing , like on Ronsen, give so enthusiastic comments.

Interesting also the fact that Abel seem to provide  different quality
for the one who ask for. Apparently European techs are not taken as
seriously as you , as only one quality is offered on their web site
'(while I don't have a recent catalog).

I see that you also noticed the problems of these hammers made almost
dead by too much pressing and heat, I personally find that the fiber
of the felt used is too dead to produce a very singing tone, but I
understand that Abel react and try to have this corrected.

In some rebuild workshop, Abel heads are sold as "pre shaped" while
Renner or other "to be shaped" (with a slightly higher cost because of
this work). When I see the level of experience one need to have a good
and fast enough shaping technique, I understand better why they had so
much success.

What I believe is that the felt quality is the first factor for long
time success. A fiber may be able to transmit move, stretch  and
compression to others and that is why we need that density in the
first place. A fiber that is not interlocked enough will not transmit
as efficiently, that mean some parts of the hammer will not be active,
particularly after some years of use, and that is the first reason for
tone degradation in my opinion.

One of the things I've heard is that the machine automated shaping of
the (moon shaped) felt strip that is glued to produce the hammers, is
heating and vibrations (?) too much the fiber exactly in the middle of
the hammer, killing the natural resiliency in the heart itself of the
hammer.
That is exactly the impression that gives me those (European) heads
when voiced correctly , a lack of foundation in tone, and a dynamic
that is not based on some reliable base is somewhat uncomfortable to
me.
the "elastic part" of the tone is in a too small window , what is
perceived as a lack in dynamics (that I notice every time lacquer is
employed, even if that does not absolutely makes the tone ugly or
bad).

Seem to me that the compression of the fiber in a hammer uses every
segment of felt, the deformation is absolutely occurring with the
action of every little fiber, that is why any action on any zone of  a
hammer is changing something (even in the treble, while some low
needling is not as efficient there indeed), and why any process that
restrain the fiber natural speed to take back its place is going to
degrade some register, even if it help others.

Well thanks for your experiments and feedback, I see you say that you
did not address the way the hammer develop and as the final tone of a
piano is occurring after some playing have been done (and a "second
voicing") I'd say that this is not so conclusive in the end, as you
remark judiciously yourself if I read you well.

Best Regards.

I.OLEG