Farrand Strike Line- Response to David Love and others

Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:58:04 -0700

I would do everything to exhaust the strike point question first.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Gordon Holley
To: Pianotech
Sent: 8/13/2004 2:33:16 PM
Subject: Farrand Strike Line- Response to David Love and others

Hello David.

These hammers have all been "filed" or "reshaped" which-ever term you prefer.
The other suggestions of things to look at and do, I'll do and work-on this Sunday and
respond on my findings.  But I would ask again, to be sure, would you really want
to file them some more?.
Many thanks, and my regards, Gordon Holley

Imadegawas are generally pretty hard already.  I wouldn't add lacquer.
File them a bit and make sure that all strings are contacted.   Look
carefully from the backside of the capo bar to make sure the hammers are
not hitting too close to the bar.  If the action is pushed in all the way
you can get the hammers to move in further by putting a large screwdriver
under the front rail in front of where you are testing and prying upward,
tilting the action inward.  See if that improves things.  If it does, you
will have to rehang the hammers farther out on the shank.  I am assuming
you are not catching the checks on the way up or blocking against the
strings.  It sounds like it's probably a strike point issue.   One other
thing to check is that on some pianos the edge oof the plate can get
perilously close to the strike point and the inside edge of the hammer can
be contacting the plate before the hammer hits the string string.  Look at
the inside shoulder of the hammer and see if you have a plate mark from
repeated impact.  If so, file the shoulder of the hammer until you have
clearance, move the hammer line in slightly, or rake the hammers back until
you get the strike point that you want.

David Love