lacquering hammers

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:16:54 -0700

So who makes the "right" punching?
David I.

From: antares <antares@euronet.nl>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: lacquering hammers

On 15-aug-04, at 2:57, Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

  Ilex Andre & Isaac
  I agree with you Andre & would say that selling the client on=
 the tried & true idea of playing this piano in. You can give him=
 this post as well as the others as proof that you've been=
 soliciting other knowledgeable opinions, well at least Isaac's &=
 Andre's, & that the consensus is be patient & play it. I like=
 your approach of filing, ironing, fitting & power regulating as=
 Isaac stated etc. Always good first steps before lacquer.
 However if all that won't do it and the hammers really are a bit=
 soft then I'd still encourage play in but perhaps some really=
 dilute gloss nitro cellulose lacquer & acetone mixed thinly 8 or=
 ten parts acetone to one part lacquer. I'd experiment with a 4=
 to 6 drops on the crown of the soggiest sounding hammer. I view=
 this as sort of a break in fluid & allows the hammer to pack in=
 sooner with playing. & if it sounds really inappropriate then=
 you can wash it down into the hammer with straight acetone & get=
 it away from the crown & return to where you were. You may try=
 just try straight acetone. Sometimes this alone brightens thing=
 up a bit without adding any hardening agents at all.
Make sense?
   Regards Dale

Of course Dale, but I consider it a last resort treatment,=
 indeed, like you said : However if all that won't do it and the=
 hammers really are a bit soft".

I also agree with Isaac who mentioned the front punching.
There are not many techs, I believe, who understand the enormous=
 influence of 'the right' front punching.
After many years of trying out various kinds of front punching,=
 we finally found the right kind, and it makes all the=
 difference.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek