An interesting? piano article

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:26:55 +0200

Hi Ron

My my my... this article seems to have elicited quite the reaction.
Thanks muchly for taking the time to pick apart so much of the article
and put your own perspectives into the mix here.  An interesting read
all the way through.

One question... the table you supply below.. Unless I misread the
numbers you supply ... it looks like the Titanium has the lowest
expansion  per unit length per degree F. if this is so, then please
explain why this is a detriment to tuning stability. In fact a quick
explanation about the linear expansion coefficient for metal in this
(stability) regard in general might be really nice, as I am unclear on
this subject

-- Overs Pianos wrote:

> Hi Stephen and all,
>
> What a document this is. I have BCC'd Peter Gardner from Pianos Onlide
> with this post also. I presume he approves with the content of the
> said article, since it is published on his website.......

snip.  please refer to Rons last post.

> A very interesting option, especially if we are hoping to produce a
> piano which goes immediately out of tune as soon the ambient
> temperature changes a mere couple of degrees.

> <>*            SAMPLE LINEAR EXPANSION COEFFICIENTS*
>
>         Metal           Linear Expansion (per unit length per degree F)
>
>         Cast Iron       0.00000655   (typical iron plate material)
>         Carbon Steel    0.00000633   (SAE 1085 piano wire)
>         Titanium        0.0000049    (Richard's 'interesting' plate
> material)
>
> /Source: Machinery's Handbook (21st Edit. - page 2270)/

> My apologies for the length of this post.

Not at all.. I enjoyed very much reading every word.

> Sincerely,
> Ron O.

Cheers

RicB