lacquering hammers

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:37:37 +0200

David Ilvedson wrote:

> So who makes the "right" punching?
>
> David I.

I think <<the right punching>> refers too one that is hard enough, yet
not to hard to make the appropriate contribution to the overall impact
sound made. One that enhances the overall tone production of the piano
rather then interferes or causing an undesirable contrast.  There is
also the question about what happens when the key is played hard enough
to bottom out before the hammer hits the string... a softer cushion will
absorb some of the ensuing stored energy in the key, where as a harder
cushion will force more of that to be released into the hammer hitting
the string.

I agree wholeheartely with both Isaac and Andre in that these impact
moments, and in particular the key bottoming out impact moment, is less
well appreciated for its contribution to the over all sound of the piano
then it should be.

I suppose you can find the right punchings from a variety of sources.
Tho I suppose you have to experiment around with which hardness you find
best for your own personal tastes.

Cheers
RicB