punching, it hits you

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 22:27:19 +0200

David Ilvedson wrote:

>I have heard of washing and drying punchings to change density and mainly stability...
>
>David I.

Well, I have to admit that a few years back (4-5) this concept was new
to me as well. Andre started talking about it, and then we who know him
here of course started giving it a try.  First for me was simply
noticing the difference between pianos, and trying to experiment a bit
with trying out different things. I remember a Petrof grand that I
ordered some very hard punchings for through the Steinway rep here.
(course I told him is was for a Steinway :)  )  I was really suprised at
the difference, but then Petrofs are (were) known for very soft action
felts almost as if they wanted a lot of give in the action.  In anycase
the difference was obvious, and everyone who plays on this agreed that
the difference was for the better. And interestingly  enough many
students remarked that they thought the tone of the instrument had improved.

This brings me to another one of Andre's suggestions... that about the
height of the backcheck having an impact on tone.  Now this one is just
plain weird sounding... I'll be the first to admit it... but there it
was.  When Andre was up here a couple years back he demonstrated it to 5
of us, and no one could avoid admiting that he'd changed the tone... the
openess of the tone on the notes he'd adjusted.  I asked the famous
Japanese pianotechs Mr.  Ono and Mr. Takahara  about this too whilst I
was in Japan this summer, and they both immediatly responded along the
lines... "but of course-- didnt you know that ???"... tho to this day I
have yet to find a satisfactory explaination for why the height of the
backcheck can influence the openess of the tone of the piano.

Anyways... I've come to learn, as Isaac has as well... that Andre' is
full of a lot of piano tone knowledge.  Much of it based on hands on
experience as opposed to engineering expertise.  Funny how that still in
these days almost always yeilds the best advice.

In anycase... like I said... I suggest you start experimenting around
with punchings densities just to see for yourself.  Another felt I've
been thinking of trying to replace with some of this Wurzen stuff is the
whippen cushion.  I'll have to wait tho until the appropriate felt is
available from Wurzen... and I have this Petrof in mind once again.

Cheers
RicB