Whippen cushion

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:33:27 +0200

Isaac OLEG wrote:

>Ric, for the whippen cushion, I understand you talk of the whippen
>heel, is it ?

Yep..

>If it is the case,what we need there is a good action cloth, but
>mostly it may be tense enough .

Yes.. but there are many different materials used on different whippens.
In particular Petrof used (perhaps they still do) a green strip of
relatively soft felt that developes this deep cup with use. You can
manually hold the whippen down while pressing on the key and watch/feel
the capstan press easily into the felt.  Same stuff on their uprights I
think.  I've always thought Petrof actions felt very mushy and not very
precise.  Hard to get into a stable regulation.  Anyways... just on a
hunch... I'd like to try using different kinds of material there to see
what I like... and an appropriatly pressed Wurzen is on my list.

>I have seen the use of backchek felts with very bad results, as the
>use of too soft action cloth or lack of tension while gluing the
>cloth.

Well, I sure as hell agree that I dont like it when whippen cushions are
too soft.  On the other hand.. too hard can get noisy.

>Happily aint that hard to get a good tension with hide glue.
>
>Was it the question ?

No, not really... just musing.

>Isaac

Cheers