Whippen cushion

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:53:44 +0200

Ric,

I changed a green too soft cloth (Renner pure wool)10 days ago on a
Schwander type action. Used white 3 mm action cloth from Renner, with
an amazing improvement.

Time spend around 4-5 hours (because old felts was very tightly glued)

Best

Isaac

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Richard Brekne [mailto:Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no]
Envoyé : dimanche 15 août 2004 23:33
À : oleg-i@noos.fr; Pianotech
Objet : Re: Whippen cushion

Isaac OLEG wrote:

>Ric, for the whippen cushion, I understand you talk of the whippen
>heel, is it ?

Yep..

>If it is the case,what we need there is a good action cloth, but
>mostly it may be tense enough .

Yes.. but there are many different materials used on different
whippens.
In particular Petrof used (perhaps they still do) a green strip of
relatively soft felt that developes this deep cup with use. You can
manually hold the whippen down while pressing on the key and
watch/feel
the capstan press easily into the felt.  Same stuff on their uprights
think.  I've always thought Petrof actions felt very mushy and not
very
precise.  Hard to get into a stable regulation.  Anyways... just on a
hunch... I'd like to try using different kinds of material there to
see
what I like... and an appropriatly pressed Wurzen is on my list.

>I have seen the use of backchek felts with very bad results, as the
>use of too soft action cloth or lack of tension while gluing the
>cloth.

Well, I sure as hell agree that I dont like it when whippen cushions
are
too soft.  On the other hand.. too hard can get noisy.

>Happily aint that hard to get a good tension with hide glue.
>
>Was it the question ?

No, not really... just musing.

>Isaac

Cheers