back check, a magical mystery tour.

antares antares@euronet.nl
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:36:36 +0200

Hello List, Avery, Stephane and Richard,

I have written about this mystery issue before a long time ago. I=20
personally have no explanation for it.
I just learned this from a very gifted Japanese teacher. he introduced=20=

me to "the one and only right position" of a back check versus hammer=20
tail.
According to him (Tsuji-san), there should be a space of 2 mm after=20
drop between hammer tail and back check.
Indeed that is true, and it is a mighty weapon.
Throughout the years, there have been many miracles described on this=20
list to improve tone and action.
If we delve into all what has been said, we must come to the conclusion=20=

that, to achieve the very best in regard to the way an action performs=20=

and to get the ultimate outcome...the tone, our profession is extremely=20=

complex.
The mystery of the back check has not been solved yet. I have as of yet=20=

not heard an explanation that totally convinces me. Nor was Tsuji-san=20
able to explain it to me.

A very powerful regulation is one thing, to make a fantastic tone=20
another.
Among the weapons we are able to employ are :
1. Our experience, talent, knowledge and understanding first of all
2. The use of high quality materials like : the best felt and the best=20=

front punching (indeed heavily underestimated)
3. A thorough understanding of the use of anti-friction material, and=20
what it really means
4. The ability to make a superb concert tuning
5. The ability to bring a voicing to a high standard.

As described above, the back check height belongs to this list. It is a=20=

very handy help in the voicing process.
We start this process with the usual list, like anti-friction=20
treatment, regulation, tuning and voicing, but we can improve the final=20=

outcome with the help of this back check phenomenon.
To give you a clear example :
A long time ago I had to prepare a number of instruments for customers=20=

in the showroom of Yamaha in the Netherlands.
After a few rounds, one C5 grand was their favorite, but they explained=20=

to me that still something was missing.... it was just not powerful=20
enough.
My piano instinct told me to do the one and last thing : I told them to=20=

have another cup of coffee (yes Huber Liverman!) and I also told them=20
that I knew exactly what they meant.
This was partly true, but also bluff on my side, but under the=20
circumstances, my professional life was on the block.
I got out my Japanese tool to change the height of the back checks and=20=

I started twisting and turning the back checks to the desired height.
On the way I broke one of the back checks but was so extremely lucky to=20=

be able to replace it immediately and without their seeing any of it=20
(they were busy slurping their adrenalin).

After 10 minutes, I wiped the sweat from my brows and joined them for=20
my round of the brown stuff, and I told them that I thought I had=20
successfully solved their complaint.

They went back and played the C5, and bought it immediately!!

Thanks to the generous lesson of Tsuji-san.

Andr=E9 Oorebeek

On 16-aug-04, at 8:27, Richard Brekne wrote:

> Hi Avery
>
> In the case of the grand at the University, they were higher then what=20=

> turned out to be best for the sound.  I am not sure whether they can=20=

> be too low in this regard.  Andre is following the whole thread so I=20=

> am sure he can answer better.
>
> btw... I've heard the standard set both 2mm above and 2mm below the=20
> hammer tail at let-off through the years.  Quite a few times both ways=20=

> actually.  It would be nice to hear what the consensus is here.
>
> Cheers
> RicB
>
> Avery Todd wrote:
>
>> Ric,
>>
>> Just curious. Is Andre referring to the backchecks being higher than=20=

>> normal
>> (2 mm below the hammer tail at let-off), or lower?
>>
>> Avery
>>
>>> This brings me to another one of Andre's suggestions... that about=20=

>>> the height of the backcheck having an impact on tone.  Now this one=20=

>>> is just plain weird sounding... I'll be the first to admit it... but=20=

>>> there it was.  When Andre was up here a couple years back he=20
>>> demonstrated it to 5 of us, and no one could avoid admiting that=20
>>> he'd changed the tone... the openess of the tone on the notes he'd=20=

>>> adjusted.  I asked the famous Japanese pianotechs Mr.  Ono and Mr.=20=

>>> Takahara  about this too whilst I was in Japan this summer, and they=20=

>>> both immediatly responded along the lines... "but of course-- didnt=20=

>>> you know that ???"... tho to this day I have yet to find a=20
>>> satisfactory explaination for why the height of the backcheck can=20
>>> influence the openess of the tone of the piano.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

Amsterdam -