Lysol on keys!

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:49:31 -0500

Hey Sarah,

Well, it's nice to know someone else hasn't died from not using Lysol.  =
I agree, I clean stuff that's dirty.

Hmmm.  I haven't seen the commercial.  Is it an aerosol spray or are =
they making a pump these days?  I suppose the aerosol could fly up into =
the key bushings, etc.

When I was hired on at a university, one of my first duties (for my own =
comfort and peace of mind) was cleaning *massive* quantities of finger =
grease off each and every keyboard before I tuned.  We're talking keys =
*thick* with gunk.  I used Cory Key-bright.  I must admit I sprayed it =
rather liberally and then waited until the grease turned grayish-white.  =
I wiped off the mess with cloth diapers.  I don't know how much of the =
cleaner may have dripped down between the keys (I was spraying to get =
the stuff below the keytops, too), but in five years I never noticed any =
effect on the keys.  Who knows, maybe my successor is cursing me this =
very day.  :-)

I do remember early in my career, being called to clean....uh.....*puke* =
from between and under keys for a piano teacher.  After scraping up the =
stuff, I used a damp rag with soapy water to clean up the rest and then =
the customer's hair dryer to help dry things.  There was still some =
*odor* and the best thing I could think of was to sprinkle some baking =
soda in, leave it for a while and then I went back a week or two later =
to vacuum it up.  Seemed to work.  The piano wasn't one I normally =
serviced, and years later when I did start tuning for this teacher, she =
had upgraded to a Steinway B.  I never thought to ask her about the =
other piano and she never mentioned anything to me about it, either.

I vaguely remember hearing of some piano professor spraying with Lysol =
during the flu season, but can't remember if it was when I was in =
college as a music major or when I was on staff at a university.  Oh, =
well.

Barbara Richmond, RPT

  ----- Original Message -----=20