back check, a magical mystery tour.

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:21:03 -0400

We've seen quite a few 'second-tier' hypotheses - as Ric says, sexy
explanations - for the backcheck phenomenon. These things obviously
need to be examined experimentally, but a small dose of Occam might
be a good thing first. I'm thinking something is causing this that
occurs before the string impact. The obvious candidate is interaction
between the backcheck and the hammer tail as the hammer heads toward
the string. Backcheck clearance is supposed to be pretty tight, and
I've seen enough examples of slight catching on the check  as the
tail goes up, enough that power is lost without it being obvious.
For a given action configuration, this effect doesn't occur for all
blows. It's a function of various action parameters, including
softness of the whippen cushion and other felt contacts, hammer shank
flexibility, tail geometry, and so on, as well as the type of touch
applied to the key. Lowering the check to achieve the magic 2mm
separation may very well ensure adequate clearance in all cases.

It's probably possible to check this on a "dud" key before and after
making the adjustment of backcheck height, even with just a bit of
chalk on tip of the key tail. Static clearance of the check/key tail
is certainly no guarantee of dynamic clearance. If it's too subtle
for chalk it will need some targeted experiments with high speed
images to investigate properly.

 From the current discussion, it seems the effect is also apparent if
backcheck clearance height is too much more than 2mm, and the
explanation above doesn't address that of course.  To those who've
had good results with Andre's technique (including Andre himself), in
practical circumstances how often do the checks have to be lowered vs
raised?

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett