My clients -- a safety suggestion

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:45:52 -0400

>>>WARNING:  BUSINESS RELATED SUGGESTION, NOT OF A TECHNICAL NATURE<<<

Hi Cy,

> Rob has every reason to be aware of his personal safety, at any time.  We
> all have different situations that make us uncomfortable or afraid, but
it's
> just funny (and sad) that he was more afraid of the dress than the beard
(it
> seems) -- especially for someone who lives in Vegas!

No beard!  But otherwise I agree.  We all have to be concerned about our
safety.  I would submit, however, that the most likely attacker is the
person entering someone's home, rather than the homeowner him/herself.
Think about it.  If you attack/molest someone in your own home, your
neighbors are quite likely to witness it, and the victim knows where you
live.  In fact the reverse situation is far more likely.  However, you are
right that everyone in a private setting is still at risk, including the
piano technician.

By way of a contribution both to your bag of tricks and to the safety of
both you (plural) and your clientele, I have a suggestion for all of you,
especially the women among you.  This comes from someone who has thought a
LOT about nonviolent self defense.  Police officers have reinforced to me
that this is a very good, effective tool...

Pack a freon horn in your tool kit.  An unexpected blast of shrill, painful
sound in the face is enough to startle and disorient just about anyone, just
long enough to make an escape.  In some environments, it's even more
effective than mace (which can also be in your bag of tricks).  Some freon
horns are purse size (get over it, guys!), and *look* like mace canisters.
If you point it it towards a would-be attacker as a deterrent, and the
person still approaches, he or she is going to be expecting a blast of mace.
The blast of sound will still be a surprise and will still be effective.
Neither mace nor a freon horn will cause long-term harm to the client.  Be
prepared, because the sound will startle *you* too.  Leave your tools, get
out fast, and call the police.

Above all, don't be caught off guard and unprepared.  Always know exactly
how you are going to handle a tight situation before it arises.  Rash and
poorly planned reactions can easily lead to disasterous consequencies,
either for you or for your attacker.

Having said that, though, a man's fear of a transsexual woman is about as
rational as a woman's fear of mice.  Geeez!  Get over it!

Peace,
Sarah