setting pitch with a fork

Allen Birchler allenbirchler@inspire.net.nz
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 07:48:19 +1200

In the past I have used this method, had leather on the end of the fork.

I found the thicker the head the better the ring....

Having said that, what is point of hearing the ring ? it should be the =
beat you listening for. how to get that right ?..check, check, check and =
then check again !

Allen B
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Peter Burns=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 6:55 AM
  Subject: setting pitch with a fork

  Greetings List.  I also place the fork between my teeth to set middle =
C- it seems like the best way to really hear what's going on, although =
after having a filling recently, I now have to use different teeth =
'cause the filling has deadned the sound!  I also use my knee to strike =
the fork on- I was always taught never to bang a tuning fork against a =
hard surface....
  Best wishes
  Peter