setting pitch with a fork

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 02:52:00 EDT

"I strike the F below the A and listen to the fork A along with the F. I
count those beats. Then I remove the fork and play the F and the A and count those
beats. "
I don't know if the writer really meant literally "the F below the A", but I
also saw a reference in another post to a "F2-A3" comparison with the fork, so
I just wanted to make it clear that although F2, F3, and F4 will all beat
against A4, only the F2 [2 8ves + M3rd] will give an accurate comparison between
an A4 fork and the A4 note on the piano. Here's why:

The 5th partial of F2 is approximately equal to the fundamental of A4. In a
tuned piano, it will be about 4 beats flat of both the fork and the note, but
it can be set anywhere comfortable. I like 5 or 6 beats even better. When A4 on
the piano is in tune with an A4 fork, the beat of either against the F2
beat-producer note will be the same. This is such a great method because, even as
the notes become in tune, the beats remain in a comfortable range [4 to 6/sec]
in which the ear is amazingly adept at comparison. On the other hand, in
trying to match a note directly to a fork, the closer the match, the slower the
beat. And, it never becomes completely clean, because of beating between
harmonics of the source and "inharmonics" of the piano. Just last Saturday, our
Chapter set an A as a group by the F2-A4 method, and were very quickly able to agree
on a setting which we then measured electronically as being only 0.2 cents
off. That's not bad. By the way, we used an AccuFork. We had a grand with a
sostenuto, which you can use to hold down the F2, but I also demonstrated playing
it and jamming a mute between it and F# to hold it down, then tuning the A4.

The 5th partial of ~F3~ on the other hand, is ~A5~, which matches the desired
A4 at its SECOND partial, A5 [a 5:2 match]. The A5 produced by the fork is
harmonic, but that produced by the piano is a little sharp. Matching this
coincidence causes the piano's A4 to be slightly flat. F4-A4 [a 5:4 match,
coincident at A6] would produce an even flatter A4, with equal beats between the fork
and piano.

I hope that's clear. We're probably all on the same page, but I just wanted
to make sure everyone out there knows why only F2 works accurately.

Bob Davis