Dry Climate Piano Preservation

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:40:04 -0400

Hi Terry,

My *other* piano, a 1965 Hamilton studio, lived the bulk of its life in =
the neighboring state of Texas.  It was the piano I started on (well, =
besides the junker I played for the couple of months prior to that).  =
It's exactly as you describe the Cable-Nelson:  No corrosion at all.  =
Bright strings, white wood, etc.  Besides a few scratches on the case =
and a slightly dulling finish, it looks brand new.  It's actually a =
fairly decent and attractive little instrument, for what it is.  :-)  =
BTW, it's lived all but two years of its life on a slab foundation in a =
ranch house, all but 10 years of its life on an outer wall, and perhaps =
a third of its life with a swamp cooler and a chain smoker.  I suspect =
there's more to the corrosion equation than humidity -- probably the =
salt air.

Peace,
Sarah

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 1:39 PM
  Subject: Dry Climate Piano Preservation

  I tuned a 1955 Cable-Nelson spinet this morning. It had just come to =
Florida from its long-time home in New Mexico. Except for dust and a bit =
of wear, the inside of this piano looked like new. Absolutely no =
corrosion on any metal part (strings, tuning pins, pressure bars, etc.). =
Don't see much of that in Florida. Is this common for 50+ year old =
pianos in dry climates like that of New Mexico?

  Amazing.

  Terry Farrell