setting pitch with a fork

Quentin Codevelle quentin.codevelle@tiscali.fr
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:03:50 +0200

Hi Isaac,

It seems to me that we learned tuning with the same method although we =
did not go to the same class !
I don't remember anything about a teacher talking of inharmonicity =
during my apprenticeship, although I know it exists since the very =
beginning of my learning, but maybe it was a bit early for students like =
us to speak about this.

could you explain the "US"methods you learned?
What are the major differencies between our good ol'french stuff and the =
american one?
I was told to set the temperament with a tuning strip of felt, and then =
making the unissons with a felt mute.
I also use a Papp mute (it exactly looks like a "pince =E0 cornichons" =
indeed !! (don't know how to translate that !!!!!))
I'd like to try the mute made of wood with some skin sticked on it. I =
thought the tone would be better because hearing something with the =
plastic Papp mute is sometimes difficult, at least for me.Yamaha sells =
that.
The guy who gave me the wave files with the 3rds is Stephane Boussuge =
who is the Kawai head technician here (equivalent to Don Mannino, I =
think, a Master Piano Artisan.)
He also encouraged me to tune aurally and check the result compared to a =
master tuning in the Tune Lab software.
I havent done that for the moment, but I'd like to.
I should ask my boss again and again to buy a VT 100, that would be the =
answer, but a boss is a boss and it is not easy for him to spend a lot =
of bucks in a machine! (btw, I have a lot of respect for him! don't =
imagine I'm telling he is not a good boss!)
And I think it's good to tune exclusively aurally for the moment, as I =
am still fighting against my natural tendency to stretch my treble a =
lot, and it doesn't sounds great sometimes.

Cheers,

Quentin.