key rebushing irregularities

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:44:10 -0500

Greetings,

I've been using Spurlock's cauls for rebushing keys with great success. I
use the mortising cauls when removing the old felt, which leaves the slots
smooth and uniform. Then I use the two step- intermediate and final- cauls
for gluing (hot hide glue, of course) in the new cloth. I've done several
sets this way and always had very little easing to do when installing the
keys. They've been near perfect- until this last set.

This last set, a Schafer and Sons (read Samick) upright, about 20 yrs old,
the front rail pins are all a little snug, not too bad, but they all needed
a little easing. But the balance rail was all too loose, really unacceptably
loose. We used the same mortising cauls, the same intermediate and final
cauls, the same bushing cloth. The only difference was my son-in-law took
out the balance rail bushings and I took at the front rail bushings. Our
method is to turn up the heat on the glue pot so the water is bubbling
boiling and hold the key over the steam for a few seconds. The old cloth
practically falls out. He may get it a little moister than me, or vice
versa.

On this particular set, he removed the old balance rail cloth about 2 weeks
before the new was glued in. I removed the front rail cloth about a week
before the new was glued in. My son-in-law put the new cloth in both balance
rail and front rail, so there would be no difference in method there.

Anybody have any thoughts on what happened?

How long would you wait between removing the old cloth and gluing in the new
cloth? I.e., how much drying time would you give the mortises?

BTW, using this steam method to remove the balance rail felt actually
"sizes" the worn balance rail hole, closing it up a tad. This allows you to
ease it back up to the perfect size when installing. I use the Yamaha
capstan wrench: a very gradual taper that allows very uniform results.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802