Dry Climate Piano Preservation

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:49:45 -0600

At 12:05 PM 8/20/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Terry
>
>     If the piano starts its early life in New Mexico the condition you
> found is normal.
>
>New Mexico Native
>
>Richard Raskob RPT

Hey Terry,
    Richard's statement is true, for the most part. What part of New
Mexico, do you know? Hantavirus is not un-common for the four corners area,
NW. Some of these beautifully preserved instruments may have loose tuning
pins and other joint failure type problems. Florida will cure that!  Also,
I guess we should "qualify" the generalization about the climate, due to
the few areas where the humidity rockets up to 20 or 30 percent! The state
has a pretty wide variety of ecosystems. Deserts, forested mountains, rock
mountains, high plains, river valleys. Actually, the southern (and driest)
part of the state is on track for normal rainfall of about 9" this year.
Maybe. It's been around 4" for about...5 or 6 years. CA glue won't set,
etc. Super dry. Keep that in mind if there are loose pins. Garfields works
better than CA on pianos when the EMC is 4 to 5% due to ambient conditions.
50-50 with alcohol.

Enjoy. Your wire budget will likely be low(er).

Guy