Tuning with a fork......Sanderson...

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 06:44:40 -0700

Richard Moody said: "So machine tuners adjust the machine, and aural
tuners go ahead for the touch up.  For some machine tuners 4 cents may
look like a lot.  But for musicians it is no problem"

Richard, Try telling that to an oboist!!!! Four (4) cents off is either =
439 or 441. That's too far out for some instruments to play with. There =
are a lot of instruments that get weird, outside of 2 cents deviation, =
their natural harmonies/acoustics/timbre is messed with. I completely =
disagree on you premise! What you are talking about is "floating the =
pitch". For those who don't, regularly, install Damp-chasers and you =
have to contend with wild swings of the temp/humidity, this may be what =
y'all do. For me, it's 440 or Die!
Someone else, postulated that, in the test, you were supposed to see how =
close you can match yer fork? NOT! The test requires 440. (period!)=20
So, @ your next chapter meeting ask for a fork calibrating session. Our =
Chapter does this fairly regularly. Usually we do it in conjunction with =
our "Auction". BTW, when doing the calibration you must "test" the fork =
for temperature as well. If the fork is off and grinding/filing is in =
order, then that is done and the fork is allowed to come to the original =
temerature in order to be accurately read, again. The process is not =
complicated, but you must be very "scientific" in your approach or =
you're just whistling in the wind, regarding "calibration".
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I