Setting pitch with a fork

Quentin Codevelle quentin.codevelle@tiscali.fr
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:35:05 +0200

Hi,

I just remembered one thing:
When I was at school, I met some Steinway (hamburg of course) and =
Schimmel apprentices who showed us the way they used their tuning fork.
In fact, they had learned to wedge the tuning for between the last key =
of the medium and the first key of the medium, paying attention so that =
the fork is in contact with the keyframe.
So, they banged on it when they wanted the A to sound, and they had =
their both hands free to tune while the fork was resonating thanks to =
the keybed.

I have a lot of difficulty to completely remember how they did it, but I =
think this is the idea.
Has anybody ever seen that?
Or maybe I dreamt of it, but i'm pretty sure they did it that way !

quentin