SW heresy?

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:01:31 +0200

Hello ,hello, me again,

Evaluate the hammer weight/strike weight : OK

Even the SW or hammer weight : very advisable certainly.

Force to a certain curve does not mean much out of providing a
supplementary tactile sensation within the action.

Even the jag at the break : No definitive answer.

On may keep in mind that the hammer weight and shape retained is
supposedly there for tonal reasons first (even if this was not
computed really, obviously).

Then if a particular instrument hammers have been retained because the
output power they provide seem good for the balance of tone of the
instrument OK to keep something near of that.

Then, one may feel the compelling tendency to "make something" to help
the evenness of the instrument, or to correct a supposed or real
missing part in the scale.
There decisions can be made to use heavier hammers, or thinner, or
with a more pear shaped top, a better felt, etc.

One may understand that the balance of the action will be changed and
in need to be corrected a lot with more lead or less lead in the keys,
if he change the SW more than a few 1/10 g. Even retaining the
original hammer weight but gluing the heads with a different rake or
at a different place on the shank (129.5 for 130 mm for instance) will
change the balance of the keys (and one have to verify the DW/UW).

I believe that we may have an idea of the tone we can expect and we
want first. Aint an easy task of course as it is a matter of
experience.

Analyzing the tone, and the sensation of weight vs. power of the notes
at the break may more easily show us if adding mass on the treble
side, or taking (a lot) off at the end of the bass will be good or
not.

Providing an extraordinary sensation of evenness of balance note to
note (that is felt mostly in lighter modes of play anyway) is
certainly an element of comfort to the fingers of the pianist, but I
say it can give something unnatural if it is not in harmony with the
other parameters of the instrument. There certainly the good choices
are something not everyone can make.

More then that, if the action geometry (that play a role in dynamic
mode) stay less than ideal, unevenness will appear abruptly in
accelerations , giving the impression that the instrument is somewhat
ambivalent. It can be very surprising I say.

Amelioration for a basically well build action and instrument is very
certainly a good thing. Correction of the action and keys problems is
way more difficult to envisage while retaining the keyboard. Weights
and a semi static method of evaluation (or levers for that matter) can
help the analysis, but they can't show it all so it works only partly
the other way.

Al bla blah

Isaac