Tuning with a fork [fork partials]

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 12:03:19 EDT

In a message dated 8/20/2004 8:01:30 PM Pacific Standard Time,
alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk writes:
I was not aware that tuning forks were supposed to have partials or
harmonics. Aren't they supposed to have pure tones?
Alan,

A tuning fork vibrating in air does produce a tone which is primarily
fundamental. However, it also produces a small amount of partials 2, 3, and 4; at
least mine does.

When the piano keyslip or keybed is used as a transducer, however, more of
the energy from the fork is converted to higher partials. I would be interested
to hear what Sarah says about using the teeth/skull as a transducer.

The AccuFork [electronic] emits a wave which is sort of square-wave-like, in
that it contains odd partials in more-or-less declining amounts, with the
third and fifth partials being the strongest. This means that there is more
interference (beating) with the upper partials of the note being set, and it means
that one needs to be especially careful to be using the right beat-generating
note (F2 in the case of A4).

I'd be interested to hear what kind of wave TuneLab generates. Cy?

Bob D