1887 Hallet & Davis grand 40C scale

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 10:49:14 -0700

"Thanks in advance for any recommendations you may be able to offer-
especially if you could have encountered this particular instrument and =
have
the scale on hand"

What is it going to take, to get technicians to realize that using, =
(supposed), scales of existing pianos of the same make/model, is a bad =
idea?!! The whole concept is simple to understand. Because pianos were =
made by humans, who are prone to making mistakes, there exists in ALL =
pianos, slight differences in the "scales"!! Because we now have the =
computer, it is relatively simple to run the numbers of a project piano =
and ascertain, (within certain bounds), the intent of the designer. =
Also, it allows us to use the cumulative knowledge of scaling to compare =
and change things, that we are fairly certain work!!! Yes, it is =
somewhat time consuming, to take the "scale" off of the "project" piano. =
However, the rewards of revising an existing scale are great. I know of =
many rebuilders that just simply think it's a waste of time. "THEY" =
ASSUME that the designer, (1st), knew exactly what he was doing. AND, =
that existing materials, etc. will be compatible with that past =
designers wishes! NOT! Secondly, it ASSUMES that the factory workers, =
including the people in charge, knew what they were doing, AND, did not =
make mistakes or deviate from the initial design! NOT!!! If you doubt =
me, just ask Del, how far away the various factories, (not to mention =
any names), deviated from his initial designs! Del, has told me that one =
of his designs, in actual production, was no where close to what he =
submitted! Yikes! Of course, the ether-world of designing sometimes is =
not the practical way of actually making a piano. I found this out when =
I assisted in the making of the two prototypes for Del's Upright. What =
an eye-opener! Not to mention a stressful/enjoyable marathon!<G>
I think it behooves every would-be "rebuilder" to learn/use the existing =
technology that will aid in making their work more acceptable. =
"Cookie-Cutter" mentality doesn't work; not even on Kawais and =
Yamahas!<G>
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police