Correct Hammer Surfacing, (Yeah, I changed it!)

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:43:30 +0100

Hello Mr Tool Policeman,

By all accounts then from your explanation, the process should be called =
skinning the hammers or exfoliation; wouldn't you find these terms more =
.........er.....".a...peeling"........?

A. NON
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe Garrett=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 6:14 PM
  Subject: Re: Correct Hammer Surfacing, (Yeah, I changed it!)

  Thank you!!!!!<G>
   What my mentor called it was: Hammer Shaping! I've since convinced =
him to call it Surfacing, Resurfacing or Filing.=20
  I find this to be a constant irritant. The oldetimers called it =
"shaping" and everyone else just follows along like sheep! Sheesh! The =
term invokes an incorrect approach to the process, thus making one have =
the propensity to do the process incorrectly. It's a mind image thingee.
  Once one grasps the concepts of what actually SHAPES A HAMMER or put =
in proper context what actually DETERMINES the shape of a hammer, then =
it will all be clearer and cause one to approach the process correctly.
  THE SHAPE is dictated by several factors: 1. the shape of the =
moulding. 2. the shape of the under felt. 3. the shape that the hammer =
felt is skived to, pre pressing. The secondary factorsw are: 1: the =
shape of the caul that the hammers are pressed into. 2. the amount of =
pressure during pressing 3. how long the hammers are left in the caul. =
All of these things dictate the SHAPE of a hammer!
  In actuality, we really are "peeling", (a LAYER off of), the hammer. =
If we follow the "natural" curvature, (ie shape), we will have taken off =
continuous layer of felt. This leaves a continuous layer on the top =
surface of the hammer. IMO, this lends to better/easier voicing =
possibilities. Thus making our work easier.<G> If there is not a =
continuous layer of felt on the top surface of the hammer, OR if the =
hammers have been worn/surfaced too many times we are contending with =
short layers that are holding very little pressure in an uneven manner. =
Sound familiar?
  On that, I'll let y'all ponder, for a while. For those who choose to =
continue to use the archaic/incorrect term, so be it. IMO, ya just don't =
get it!<G> Most on this list espouses making changes for the better, in =
our industry. This is one of those changes, that is way overdue. Think =
about it.
  Best Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police