(Yeah, I changed it!) me 2 (:)}}

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:29:49 EDT

<< At 10:14 AM -0700 8/23/04, Joe Garrett wrote:
>On that, I'll let y'all ponder, for a while. For those who choose to
>continue to use the archaic/incorrect term, so be it. IMO, ya just
>don't get it!<G> Most on this list espouses making changes for the
>better, in our industry. This is one of those changes, that is way
>overdue.  >>

Greetings,

Hmm,    There are lots of things in this world that are overdue, no need to
start with us.

 And now for a few words that remain in my vocab:  Tuners, whippens,
balanciers, hammer-filing, doping (!)...

   Archaic, yes, without any argument. However, if one is to make the leap
that "archaic" means incorrect, than I have to assume that one must consider ET
to be the only correct temperament.  And I suppose that archaic, mellow, round
sound the old American hammers produced is no longer "correct", since the
modern hammer is so hard?
    And the archaic finishes of yesteryear, such as the French polished
Erards, hand rubbed varnish of the 20's American upright, and the plainly dated
lacquer of S&S are now "incorrect" because the modern polyester finish is with
us?
   And, what about that tool that we call a "hammer"?  When was the last time
that we actually used it to pound something into a piece of wood?  Hammer is
an archaic term, no?  Thus,  it is incorrect to call it that, but for the life
of me, I don't know what other word will do.
 Egads!   This computer is connected to a "keyboard", but there are no keys,
simply buttons.  I suppose "keyboard" is incorrect but what else to call it?
    What are we to do?  Our world, from our archaic instruments to our newest
technology is simply polluted with 'incorrectness'.  Thank goodness it ain't
political!

Ed Foote RPT