Pinning on new flanges

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:38:08 -0700 (PDT)

Actually I should say I like 10-12 swings in the bass, 8-10 in the tenor tapering down to 4-7swings in the treble.

Ryan Sowers <pianorye@yahoo.com> wrote:I personally like 8-10 swings. I feel you get a better touch. Darrel Fandrich convinced me of the value of this.  The important thing is that the flanges are firm.  The best way to check this is to use a straight edge or long shank screw driver and support the shanks and slide it back and forth. You will immediatly see the ones that are too loose because they wiggle.

Less friction means more power, lighter touch, faster repetition.

Bob Hull <hullfam5@yahoo.com> wrote:
List,

I was preparing a new set of shanks and flanges for an
action rebuild (a recital hall piano)and found that
the pinning maybe too loose. Many of them will swing
8-10 times before coming to a stop; some will swing 11
- 12 and a few 7 times. These are high quality parts
from a reputable manufacturer. The humidity in my
shop is in the mid 50's. When winter comes and the
humidity in the recital hall drops way down won't
these be to loose? I was looking for about 3-5 swings
in the bass graduating up to about 7 max. in the
treble.

I am facing a deadline and may need to get another set
sent if the manufacturer agrees which will cost me at
least 2 days.

Would you repin, reorder or what?

Bob Hull

http://mail.yahoo.com