Hearing beats

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 01:30:03 -0500

> Speaking of which, is there a support group for A-Forkers who put the
> A440 in the second partial of A3 instead of the 1st of A4? Old habits
> never die, they just get passed on to the new arrival at the
> convent.

Is that they way you were trained and how exactly did it go?  For me the
A440 fork was put on the tenor bridge sounded against A4 and if it was
close enough it (the piano) was tuned from A4.  Yes there were shop
tests to show how far sharp or flat and there will be new ones tomorrow,
but unless it was a pitch raise you didn't change the pitch of A4
because of the fork. Because if you did you had to go above the fork and
then after use the tests to see how far down the piano came to the fork.

	To get a good temperament I soon learned to get a "good" A3--A4
octave which I was taught to determine by the F3--A3--F3--A4   third and
tenth tests.  If sometimes A4 needs to be nudged up I will do this but
this really is determined by the specific piano an the specific
circumstance and so far I have never been called to account except once
but it was by machine, the machine whose lights never really stop.
	The pitch of A4  changes sooner or later after you tune it
depending on the piano and the circumstance.  Pitch is relative and
playable within one or two cycles per second.   The bottom line IMHO is
"who tunes less tunes best".

----ric

www.pnotec.com

 "To be surprised, to wonder, is to begin to understand."
         José Ortega y Gasset (1883-1955); Spanish philosopher.