Pinning on new flanges

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:25:28 +0100

Hi Bob

I nearly always repin new flanges when installing.  I've heard all the
arguments back and forth... seen a few demonstrations from manufacturers
as to how meticulous they are.... and nevertheless always find about
half of any given set of flanges either too loose or too tight.  I go
for a safe 5-7 swing window using german "silver steel" centers.

Interestingly enough, it is the position of the Yamaha factory that
wooden flanges with felt bushings remain quite stable with regards to
tightness as (they say) the reactions of the wood holes, and felt
bushings are very close to exactly opposite to climatic changes.  Indeed
they argue against Kawaiis (and others)  use of plastic flanges very
much on this basis.

I dont find any real change in tightness in flanges due to climatic
change, but I do find change in friction levels on some pianos. That
might seem a strange comment, but if you think about it... friction is
easily caused by matters not related to tightness perse.

RicB