Pinning on new flanges

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:37:24 +0100

I dissagree completely on this point. I find, especially in heavier
tenor and bass hammers, that whatever is gained by the reduced friction
is more then lost with a less stable hammer path.  The hammer wanders
far to much on hard blows when the pins are this loose.  Its easy enough
to hear, and I find it easy to identify loose pins this way. Given the
maximum amount of power the hammer can reasonable achieve due to a host
of other issues, i.e. action compliance, action ratio, etc.etc.etc.... I
find it diffucult to swallow that the lessened friction of hammer
flanges that occurs when moving from 5-7 swings up to 8-10 ... or even
up to 15 for that matter would be able to contribute significantly to
power in the first place.  The hammer will most certainly be driven to
its maximum velocity easily enough regardless.  On the other hand,
reduced stability in hammer path is a significant factor and is easily
noticed.

JMV

RicB