Pinning on new flanges

Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:33:01 +0100

With respect Keith..

This is not really such a difficult question to get a <<correct>> answer
too.  On the one hand pins need to be tight (firm) enough in the
bushings to provide as solid a hammer travel as is possible. Essentially
that means the firmer the better. Directly opposed to this is that the
pins need to be loose enough to provide for adequate movement to
facilitate .... play :)  The best possible solution is, obviously
enough  as tight as they can be while not causeing the flange as to be
to tight to move freely enough.  In practice... this works out (in the
case of the hammer flange on the grand) to be the equivalant of 4 - 7
swings.  Some people feel 4 is too risky, and I agree personally.  But
beyond 7 is pure and simply pointless loss of stability with nothing to
gain  IMHO.

Ok... so there is a window...  but not much of one, and personally I
think that qualifies real well as being a right way of doing things.
And as far as I can see.... the consensus on the matter is clearly... as
in overwhelmingly in agreement. I think the list got it right.

But then,,,, thats just my view.

Cheers :)
RicB