Hearing beats

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:05:35 -0400

At 9:26 AM -0700 8/24/04, jason kanter wrote:
>There is no 3:1 octave. That's a twelfth. You can set D3 to A4 as a 3:1
>interval, but for A3 you are limited to 2:1 or 4:2 or even 6:3.

Thanks for catching that. I should have said 6:3. (Although 12 years
ago, while doing a stint as Contributing Editor to the PTJ, I replied
to the same point with the remark that if Ronald Reagan's Dept. of
HEW could call ketchup in public school cafeterias a vegetable, I
could call the 3:1 an octave.)