Pinning on new flanges

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:20:44 EDT

Avery asks:
Wasn't there recently a discussion about the "new" way that Steinway is
recommending
pinning their actions. Very "loose" as compared to the traditional methods,
as I
remember
and Thump writes:
I'm with Sarah in
that I think utterly slop-free bushings with minimal
friction would be ideal.
Their (Steinway's) idea is exactly that. They are talking 2-4 gms or 1-3,
depending upon with whom you talk and when. They say the difference is the Teflon
impregnation, which allows low friction but a firm bushing. Many pianists
seem to like the feel.

There seem to be two arguments for a traditional 4-5 gram fit: truer guidance
of the flight of the hammer (taken care of by a lower friction material?),
and higher friction to make the spring tighter, which in turn makes the jack
return faster. Among my clientele I'm not seeing a clear preference.

Bob Davis