harpsichords

Israel Stein custos3@comcast.net
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:50:59 -0700

At 09:55 PM 8/24/2004, Bob Davis wrote:

>A client has asked me if I knew any fine harpsichord builders in Northern
>California. I don't, but I promised I'd ask you folks. There is a John
>Phillips in Berkeley whose name sounds familiar.
>
>Thanks
>Bob Davis

Bob,

John Phillips (Berkeley) is a very fine builder, internationally known -
but you have to wait many years to get a harpsichord from him, he is that
busy. Basically, you put down a deposit, and when he is working on the
instrument that's ahead of yours he'll let you know that you are next. But
if your customer wants to try, here is the info:

510-549-2272;  510-524-0795
<jplectra@earthlink.com>
<http://www.earthlink.net/~/jplectra/>

There is a very fine builder in San Francisco - his name is Kevin Fryer and
he is a member of PTG, so you can find his phone number in the PTG
directory. I have an e-mail address for him, but it might be outdated:
<hpschd@aol.com>. He builds instruments for performing artists throughout
the US.

Tom Winter, as far as I know, builds fortepianos, but you might check - he
is in the PTG directory.

Israel Stein