Ultimate Damp-chaser

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:38:02 -0700 (PDT)

In regards to Dampp-chaser installation in vertical pianos:

I've encountered this question more than once from clients: "Can the system really be effective if its only exposed to one side of the soundboard". My usual reply is that even though the back of the soundboard is exposed to outside air, maintaining a more constant environment inside the piano will indeed keep the soundboard from swelling and contracting to the degree that it does with no system in place. I sometimes still get a skeptical look; Any better explanations out there?

Has anybody studied the effect of a barrier cloth on the back of the piano to improve the efficiency of the system. I have heard that the wool string covers that Laroy Edward's daughter makes for grand pianos can measurably improve the function of a Damp-chaser.

I have thought from time to time that perhaps the ultimate system would be to install 2 Dampp-chasers, one on each side of the soundboard. Has anybody actually attempted this? Does this make sense?

Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA