Pinning on new flanges

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:41:12 -0600

At 08:48 PM 8/25/2004 +0100, you wrote:
.. there are some interesting points raised by those who adhere to the
lowest possible friction priority... those who rather would push to the
limits the stablity issue for the sake of that cause.  New York Steinways
venture into this garden in a young affair at this point... and we will
just have to see what the public responds with.  I suspect that about 5-10
years down the line we will see that this was not such a good idea after
all... but I am willing to let the future speak for itself when it comes
down to it.

Five to ten years down the line, students and performers will have adapted.
Look at what "they" did to tone! Given the choice, they went brilliant.
They gave up dynamics for... what? Buckets of broken glass and gunshots in
the bathroom. No one gripes about plastic keytops anymore.
The super low friction touch is going to get liked because the upweight
feels so much more like the practice digital in the dorm that they've been
listening to through headphones.( So what if the dynamic range is about the
same.) Those keys really "pop"! Sort of the same problem we've seen from
common listeners that can't tell what a real piano sounds like due to
listening to recordings that use digital instruments. Or... real
pianos  squeezed through tons of digital processors.
Gimmie a break.

Sorry for the rant. Honestly, one quote from a player was that is was
easier to adapt to low friction that is was for anything else. All I could
say was.... "Okay"... but I thought.... "You have NO FREAKIN' IDEA what you
are missing. So sad.

In my own personal reality window, I think that the number one issue for
satisfactory playing is control. I really dread the insidious, seductive
misplacement of control.

Enough,
Guy

"All the water in the world can't sink a ship.......unless it gets on the
inside."
                                                                                                 Ed
Foreman