Baldwin finish

Allan Gilreath agilreath@mindspring.com
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:54:33 -0400

Dean,

Mahogany was seldom used under black (as far as I know) unless the piano
had some major cosmetic flaw that necessitated return to the factory.
In this case, the case or some parts, were refinished in black after the
repair.  Of course if the finish isn't original, all bets are off.

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Allan Gilreath & Associates, Inc.
PO Box 1133
Calhoun, GA 30703
allan@allangilreath.com
706 602-7667

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Dean May
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 8:28 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Baldwin finish

Greetings,

I am looking at refinishing a 6 foot Baldwin, about 50 years old. It has
satin ebony finish that has bad water damage on the lid and side. I'm
not
sure if the finish is original or not. It is apparent that it is
mahogany in
the areas of the water damage.

Can anyone tell me if the odds are good for it to be all mahogany? I
have a
customer who wants it but in a natural wood finish. Will I get myself
into
trouble to convert it to a natural wood finish?

Many thanks,

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272