The Good Old Days ??

Allan Gilreath agilreath@mindspring.com
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:01:34 -0400

Ric,

Sometime before that point, and the time some may be referring to, the
list was housed on the BYU server and started up by Jack Reeves.  In the
early days, it was much like the CAUT list in intent.  Each person
understood that the discussions were only about institutional situations
and that your name and institutional affiliation were to be included on
each post.  It was very focused and very genteel.  There were quite a
few very highly respected names who made wonderful posts and the noise
was practically nil.  Perhaps those are the days being referenced...

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Allan Gilreath & Associates, Inc.
PO Box 1133
Calhoun, GA 30703
allan@allangilreath.com
706 602-7667

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Richard Brekne
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 2:01 PM
To: Newtonburg
Subject: The Good Old Days ??

Hi folks... Ed, Barbara.. and others who recently took up this flag.

I've been here since 1998... maybe late 97... not really sure.  And
personally I dont buy this romanticised picture of how great things were

in yesteryears pianotech.  In fact I really dont notice much of a change

in either content or tone on the whole at all.  When I poped up the
raging war at the time was one Ed Foote up against one Bill Bremmer.
And boy did things get nasty.  I got wrapped up in a couple with a few
people as well for statements and opinions that still have me aghast in
wonderment as too what brought all that about.  I've watched a select
agenda oriented types few bully off one person after another for having
some view or another about pianos they didnt like. Ive seen outbreaks of

political posts about Clintons presidency by the bushel.  Religion has
been a regular player all along... and all the posts I've seen through
the years relating how sick and tired somebody is of all the crap has
not increased or decreased one bit as far as I can see.

Sorry... I dont buy it. I dont buy that somehow people just 8 years ago
were fundementally more well behaved then they are now.  What in human
nature could possible explain such a degenerate evolution ?  I'd like to

hear some Darwinistic justification .... grin.  No no no... its easy to
romantisize the good old days... easy to forget the bad and remember the

good.  But frankly... the only thing I've seen fundementally change here

in 6 + years  are a few faces.

Cheers
RicB