Teflon bushings: (was Re: Pinning on new flanges}

Don Mannino donmannino@comcast.net
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:30:17 -0700

At 07:10 PM 8/25/2004, you wrote:
>I was under the impression that one of the problems with teflon was wood
>swelling and squeezing the bushing thus tightening the flange... is this
>another urban legend?
>
>David I.

David, I believe this was true for the first generation Teflon
bushings.  Later the flanges were modified with ribs on the outside, which
seems to have pretty well eliminated the wood / bushing interface issue.

Another factor which has not been mention clearly is that Teflon is not a
very resilient material.  This was alluded to when someone mentioned
earlier that the bushings are sometimes damaged by a technician filing the
hammers.  Wool cloth can be pounded with a hammer repeatedly with little
ill effect, but Teflon will generally dent (or "bruise," as Ed McMorrow put
it).  In some high use situations, especially combined with poor fitting
procedures, the bushings will tend to develop clicks because the Teflon is
deforming under the impact of playing and tuning the piano.

Don Mannino RPT