Pinning on new flanges

Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:26:24 +0100

Sarah Fox wrote:

>Hi Ric,
>

>>>... er...  Yes, you did.  ;-)
>>>

>>Er... what did I ... yes I did.. the above paragraph is not a denial of
>>anything at all... I am not sure at all we are on the same page here.
>>

>We are.  I see what you were saying.  :-)
>

>>With respect Sarah... I doubt seriously any sound scientific method
>>includes claiming factuals without knowing whether there are indeed any
>>such facts documented.  My reaction was to the statement as <<fact>> by
>>Ryan that.
>>
>>    "The hammers with less friction will spend a slightly less amount of
>>    time on the string. The more tightly pinned ones will stay on a
>>    microsecond longer dampening out the highest partials."
>>

>A HYPOTHESIS!  (I didn't read his statement as one of fact, but rather one
>of conjecture, at least with respect to the effect on the highest partials.)

Please... A Hypothesis is based on more then conjecture,  nor are we
dealing with siimple gramtic rules here.

>a.k.a. theorization
>
>Nuthin' wrong with any of this.

Except the fellow is declaring all this as fact... not as anything
else.  In his own words... << the data is our senses>> and this is put
in the most general of contexts.

Sarah... while debating what scientific method in itself is (or isnt) is
an interesting subject matter... it has nothing to do with the specifics
of the present thread.  When someone declares something as fact,
justifies this fact by the use of data as defined by Ryan... we are
simply not even close to being in the realm of scientific method.

End.

>rigidity of the bearings?  We have empirical results, true, but these
>results give rise to more conjecture and more hypothesizing, and thus more
>testing is needed to clarify the above results.

Exactly my point... lets bring on the real science to find out... not
just throw a host of hunchs onto a pile and pass them off as facts. Like
I said... a fascinating study that should be taken serious. But, as long
as we remain on the subjective level, also an interesting object for
discussion and idea bouncing.  Lets just not the one with the other.

This post got a bit unweildy ... might I suggest you clip and paste into
a new thread the elements that have to do with what seems to be the
direction you want to take this discussion.... ?

Cheers
RicB