Pinning on new flanges

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:52:29 -0400

Hi Ric,

Just friendly discussion here, my friend...  :-)

Isn't playing with friction a bit like driving a car with the emergency
brake on?  To me, it makes the car feel awkward, and I don't feel I get more
control.  I feel I have less of it.  I have to press the gas pedal harder to
go, and when I reach I reach this point, the car quickly lurches forward.  I
quickly notice how weird the car feels when it happens, and I'm quick to say
"oops!" and release the brake.

Experienced cooks know that sharp knives are safer than dull ones.  Why?
More control.  The sharp knife slides through food with less effort (lower
friction, if you will), and so energy is less likely to end up misdirected
into one's finger.

In fact friction slightly compresses the effective dynamic range available
to the pianist.  It takes more pressure to deliver a soft note, while the
highest pressure available to the pianist is still the same.  Of course
friction can be compensated with leading in the keys, but only to an extent.
Less range in available pressures means less control.  This would be
comparable to a wide letoff gap, which doesn't help control a bit.

Besides that, friction is an ugly beast in that it is not consistent with
key velocity.  When key velocity is zero, friction is at its highest.  This
friction level is called "static" friction.  When the key moves, friction
levels dramatically decrease.  This is called "sliding" friction.  Having
(by necessity) a friction level that changes with movement is not a bonus to
the controllability of a piano action.  It's also what happens in the
emergency brake example (see above).

Perhaps the most extreme example of the consequences of changing friction
are found in any auto repair shop, although they aren't so much a simple
consequence "static" vs. "sliding" friction -- but same idea.  When a
mechanic strives to turn a nut with a wrench, he is prone to slip when the
nut breaks free.  Just look at his knuckles!  That's not control.

Let's bring this closer to the piano.  <grin>  Put a Steinway D on its side
on a skid.  Put the skid in the middle of a parking lot.  Now get several
strong men to slide it around, to position it in some *exact* location you
specify.  Now put the piano on a dolly, and repeat the experiment.  In what
situation do the men have more control?  This is nothing more than a
question of friction.  In the first situation, the men are prone to
overshooting a position, due to the difference between static and sliding
friction.  When this differential is reduced (with a piano dolly),
positioning is easier and (more to the point) more accurate.

Finally, the control scenario that you paint with regard to a piano action
incorporates active sensorimotor feedback.  That is:  Push the key, see
whether it has traveled far enough, fast enough, correct the velocity
accordingly, see if the correction is adequate, etc., etc., until the hammer
reaches the string.  Pianists don't play that way, except when the music is
very slow and pp.  There's simply not enough time to do it that way.
Instead, they fire off finger movements and listen to what the piano gives
back.  Then they adjust the overall output of their motor program to
compensate for anything that is not right.  This is a process that is done
over several notes, not within a single note.

These two different ways of carrying out movements involve very different
neural machinery.  The precisely controlled movement of a single key is
mostly done through feedback loops involving the basal ganglia, which seem
to coordinate the whole mess.  The complex motor programs that can be
adjusted as needed are a function of the cerebellum.  To use your example,
when someone throws a fast ball at you, you use a motor program in your
cerebellum to hit it with the bat.  If the ball is slow enough, then, maybe
then, you'll have enough time to fine-tune your swing through active
sensorimotor feedback involving your basal ganglia.  Very different neural
machinery.  Does the sensorimotor feedback scenario give you better control?
You bet.  But you can't use it on a fast ball.  It's just not that good.
Neither can you use it on 99.9% of the passages played on a piano.

Peace,
Sarah