Pinning on new flanges

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:59:59 -0600

At 11:52 AM 8/26/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Ric,
>
>Just friendly discussion here, my friend...  :-)
>
>Isn't playing with friction a bit like driving a car with the emergency
>brake on?  To me, it makes the car feel awkward, and I don't feel I get more
>control.  I feel I have less of it.

Hey Sarah,
    Analogies are great, but let's look at the starting point, or base
line. Could playing with friction be like driving a car with tires, as
opposed to a hover mobile? Driving with the brake on might be more
appropriately likened to playing with verdigris. Tires have predictable,
controllable friction characteristics. Air hockey, on the other hand, or
wet ice.... not so much.

Big grin <G>
I, for one, can't play near well enough to argue with the artists I work
for. And... I bet my hands are heavier than yours. (or almost anyone
else's, for that matter) Hehe. So.... It turns out that I'm able to achieve
control better, for myself, with a bit of friction. I find that with
friction in the 9-12g range, the keys (if weighted reasonably) will "pop"
up to my fingers just fine. Certainly as fast as I can possibly require.
Breaking the inertia is a whole different story, no?

Been a great thread, though. 'Sall good.

Later,
Guy

P.S.  PBS had that 8 piano Great Performances on last night. What a gig!
The Valkyries number sure wonked a few unisons!